Photo gallery recommendation?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 11 21:41:36 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> I'm looking for a program to create and maintain an on-line photo gallery
>> under Fedora-5.
>> If possible I'd like to have thumbnails plus a film-strip (like Windows!).
>>
>> I've installed f-spot, but I'm not completely happy with it.
>> For one thing I find the documentation more or less unintelligible.
>> I don't like the style of the gallery;
>> I'm sure there is some way to change it,
>> but if so I haven't come across any instructions for this.
>>

> Thanks for all the suggestions.
> I downloaded gallery2, but this has even less documentation than f-spot!
>
> Actually, I have had a change of heart,
> and have decided that f-spot probably meets my needs as well as anything.
> Although the documentation is abysmal, once you have worked out what it does
> it seems fairly straightforward.
> My initial doubt was caused by the fact that it appeared to be moving
> hundreds of megabytes to some unspecified destination.
>
> I do wish Linux applications would give more information
> about what they are doing, what files they are editing, etc.
> This is one area where Linux has a standing advantage over Windows,
> so it seems a pity not to make the most of it.

Yes basic stuff like how to run the program once installed.  I can see
that it created an mysql database and it apparently is accessed from a
browser much like Cups and Webmin, but the URL is not immediately
apparent to me?  I figure I will eventually find that on this list ...

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia