Photo gallery recommendation?

Trond Danielsen trond.danielsen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 21:55:41 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 12:34 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > The download includes a picassa-specific version of wine so there
> > is an extra few MB of overhead until the fixes make it into the
> > mainstream version.
> >
> > http://picasa.google.com/linux/learn_more.html
>
> I've already seen that, but it still doesn't avoid the fact that you're
> running a Windows program.  It's not really a Linux version of Picasa.
>
> I've yet to experience anything running through an emulation (and I'm
> aware that Wine says it's not an emulation), run as fast, or as well as,
> an application that's meant for your OS.

But even though Wine says it is not an emulator, you still think it
is? Then I have to ask what you think of applications that is written
in Java, Python, Mono etc... They to require a run-time enviroment.

Even if you don't want to use Picasa, I think the fact that Google
invested the time and money into making Picasa run on linux shows that
the linux desktop is finally gaining some attention from the "big
players". I don't see why that is a bad thing? Sure, they "should"
have created a "real" linux port, preferably for both GTK and QT to
please everyone, but come on, its their money, they choose how to
spend them.

> --
> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)

> --

Trond Danielsen