Updating & GDM

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 11 22:01:15 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 01:37 +0300, Caser wrote:
>> After updating my system by software Updater (06.07.2006)
>> then rebooting ... i received this error massage
>>
>> GDM: Xserver not found: /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth
>> /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
>> Error: Command could not be executed!
>> Please install the X server or correct GDM configuration and restart
>> GDM
>>
>> i tried to configure X server (i found my Vcard was not correct)
>>
>> may be the problem was (gdm)
>>
>> gdm.i386 2.14.4-1.fc5.2
>>
>> i removed it...
>>
>> but the login screen went to default
>>
>> im confused!???
>>
>> thanks....
>>
>> p.s i dont login KDE
>
> There's three common login managers that I'm aware of:
>
> GDM - Gnome
> KDM - KDE
> XDM - Generic X
>
> If you're removed gdm, you're not going to be able to use it.  I've used
> GDM to login to a box that used KDE.  I don't know if you can use KDM to
> login to a box that's not using KDE.

I needed to remove gdm during the wrong file location for the X server.
When I did 'yum erase gdm' and rebooted, the next login manager in the
chain allowed me to shutdown, login through a host of display managers.
I have xfce installed as well, so it might have been yet another xfce
display manager.

Jim

--
You had mail.  Paul read it, so ask him what it said.