Question, about drive assignment when boot drive is sata

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 11 22:24:29 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I have a friend who's had drive failures out the yang over the last
>> week, and is involved in trying to install FC5 on his main server which
>>  has several other drives in it.
>>
>> The boot drive, and the one he's installing FC5 to, is on a Promise SATA
>> card.
>>
>> On the reboot after the install, it fails after unpacking vmlinuz, and
>> immediatly after 'starting udev', it fails the e2fsck of /dev/hda1.
>>
>> We've looked at grub, looks good, as does /etc/fstab, so we have NDI
>> where, or why its looking for /dev/hda1 when it should be looking for
>> /dev/sda1.
>>
>> I'm assuming this is probably a 'duh' item, but I don't have any SATA
>> stuff, so I'm out of ideas.  Whats the usual culprit for this?
>
> Things to check...questions to ask....
>
> 1.  What are the errors?  You don't say.

"fails the e2fsck of /dev/hda1."  As in can't find it at all.

> 2.  Was the original drive a PATA and now you have a SATA?

This I do not know, but I'll find out in the next few hours.

> 3.  Check the /boot/grub/device.map file for "(hd0)     /dev/sda".
>
> 4.  If the answer to 2 is "yes" did you create a new initrd file for the
> running kernel?

New FC5 install, from scratch.  I should also state that he is using the
re-spun FC5 release, from the dvd's iso.

First, its not my box, and yes, we're not exactly newbies at grub.conf
nuances.  If he could boot it, he could post those, but I'm not too sure
I want to type all that as he reads it to me from 1000 miles away.

Since I had narrowed it down to the reboot after the install that was
failing, I figured that this sort of a problem was a known problem, with
a 'duh' type fix.  The box is his home networks server/gateway, and with
it down, he'll have to reconfigure a bunch of cat5 to get a local hookup
online.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene