samba help!!!!!

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jun 12 03:14:12 UTC 2006

bruce writes:
> hi...
>
> i have an FC3 system with a windows 2000 server.... i'm trying to figure out
> how to setup samba on the FC3 to allow me to be able to actually share
> (read/write/copy) files between the systems...
>
> if you've done this, i'd appreciate hearing from you.. something's going
> wrong and the docs from google aren't sinking in!!
>
> i have the smb process running.. i haave the "system-config-samba"
> up/running... but i'm missing something subtle...

Are you trying to export a file system on your FC to Windows? Or the
other way around--reading your Windows file system from your FC box?

If the latter, you want a mount point with type smbfs. I'm sorry, I can
no longer give you an example because I haven't used Windows in years.

The cli utility smbclient is your friend for figuring out how to connect
and access files on the Windows machine.

If you're exporting your FC then the above doesn't apply. I found swat
very helpful for configuring samba. You'll need to enable swat in
/etc/xinetd.d/swat before you access with your browser. Nice thing about
swat is the context specific help for the various options.