error updating irrelevant partition during FC5 install

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jun 12 04:19:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 08:00 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> I kept getting an error while trying to install FC5 on a system with
> an on-board ATA controller and a second ATA controller card plugged in.
>
> I'd get through the screens for selecting packages and go to do the
> actual format, and get a message to the effect of
>
>      hda4 cannot be updated. changes will not take effect until reboot.
>
> Then I'd get the option to show the nice, helpful debug screen, but,
> particularly considering the point in the install, no way to save
> that long, arcane block of stack dump and whatnot (and I'm not going
> to type it in by hand). The only option besides viewing the debug
> dump is reboot, with the disk untouched.
>
> With the partitions I was cutting, hda4 should not have been updated
> anyway. Root went into hda1, I had the FC5 LVM volume in hda2, and I
> was leaving the old FC3 file system (sans root) in hda3 (Extravagant,
> I know, but I'm not into keeping movies on that 160G hard disk yet,
> so it seems reasonable to just keep it around for a while.), and
> leaving freeBSD in hda4 for the time being.

You are only allowed 4 actual partitions.  If you want more, then hda4
would need to be an extended partition with logical partitions inside
it.  That may be the issue you are seeing.  If hda4 is not an extended
partition then anaconda/disk druid may be complaining because it does
not see the expected type of partition there.