LVM or not?

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Mon Jun 12 04:16:46 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 10:51, Bob Hartung wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I am putting together a new workstation, test bed, learning tool with
> hardware RAID 1 on two 300 Gb HD.  After reading through the online docs
> it seems that I have no use for LVM in this environment.  Yet Disk Druid
> uses this as the default on a new installation.
> 1.  Is there any sense in using LVM in my situation?
> 2.  I am planning on this as a partition scheme:
>       /boot
>       /
>       /home
>       /usr/local

If you plan to use the server for a long time, and if you think that the
freespace would be decreasing fast, I'd suggest that you use LVM. With LVM we
can increase partition size by adding additional harddisk.

Partition scheme is more than an art and experience than exact science. But,
as a rule, it's best if we separate the partition where we would keep it's
content intact when we do upgrade.

CMIIW,
http://linux2.arinet.org
11:16:45 up 2:47, 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 GNU/Linux