yum just removed nvidia modules?!

Rob Brown-Bayliss uncertain.genius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 06:48:09 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Danny Yee <danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> In order to put the latest kernel onto my machine, it not only removed
> the older kernel (which shouldn't happen, according to my understanding
> of yum.conf defaults) but also, along with that, the nvidia modules.
> This stops X working...

I have noticed this with yum before, with kernel updates I never  do
"yum -y update keren*"

And I am quite frankly surprised that any one woudl allow yum to
update their machine automatically every night.

Don't get me wrong, yum is great, I like it, but it's just a programe,
it's not intelligent and giving it permision to do what ever it wants
to your box is foolish.

About once a week I open a terminal and su to root and do "yum
check-update" and then decide for my self what I really need to fix
and what is not important, for example, OpenOffice updates so often,
and is such a huge download for what I assume is sometimes icon
changes!!!!

--
Rob