Samba Guru...

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Mon Jun 12 14:46:33 UTC 2006

bruce wrote:
> I think i've screwed things up regarding getting Samba to work between FC4
> and Windows 2000. I'd like to be able to share files between the two
> OS/systems...

this has always worked fairly well for me.

> It appears that I can make changes using the samba gui, that aren't picked
> up in the samba config file. similarly, if i make changes in the config
> file, the changes don't seem to be getting seen in the samba gui app...
Seriously, do *not* use the GUI tool unless you want a world of pain.
perhaps this is a tad harsh but I have had a bad experience with these
tools, which are by their very nature simplistic. Besides, knowing how
to edit the config file is never a bad thing.

use a text editor, add the shares you wish to add. run
testparm to check your syntax.
use smbclient to check connectivity.
smbclient -L localhost -N
will show you shares visible to the anonymous user.

> unfortunately, it doesn't seem that any of these changes are having any kind
> of impact on the Windows side of things...
so what do you actually see on the windows side?

Some examples of your entries in the config file and error messages and
so on would be pretty helpful.

> questions:
>  -if i'm logged in on the Windows box, do i have to have the same "username"
> on the linux box?
No, but it helps.
what you *do* need to  have is a clear mapping between the windows user
and a locally resolveable linux username (so local file permissions can
be checked and set, among other things)

you can add certain local users only to  Samba's own password database
with (e.g)
smbpasswd -a bob
bob *must* exist as a 'local' user for this to work (overly simplistic,
I know, before someone pulls me up on this, but it'll do as an example).

>  -does the samba app/share have to "reside" under the "doamin/workgroup" of
> the windows box?
It helps. that way the samba server you run will appear in My Network
Places|Network Neighbourhood|whatever they call it now

Regards

Stuart
- --
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
"Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away."
- - Robert Orben

believed to be clean.