No floppy device in FC5

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Mon Jun 12 16:59:39 UTC 2006

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:33:02AM -0700, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
>  > I've read the release notes and see no mention of a floppy device, other
>  > than a mention of removable devices not being added to fstab.  Where did
>  > they go?  How can I make them?  I need to access a floppy...
>
> That's removable devices in the sense of USB keys and the like.
> The floppy driver should 'just work' as it always did
> (though I admit, it's been about 12 months since I've personally tried it)
>
> 		Dave

When you say, "It should just work", does than mean a file manager
should pop up when a floppy is inserted and a mount point created?  It
doesn't and there are no /dev/fd? devices.  There are some entries in a
directory called /dev/fd, which don't appear to be floppy related:

ls -l
total 4
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun 12 11:30 0 -> /dev/pts/4
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Jun 12 11:30 1 -> /dev/pts/4