No floppy device in FC5

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jun 12 18:09:36 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 19:10, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:59:39AM -0700, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
>  > When you say, "It should just work", does than mean a file manager
>  > should pop up when a floppy is inserted and a mount point created?
>
> AFAIK, you have to mount it by hand, though as I said it's been
> a while since I've had to resort to using a floppy, so things
> may have changed (though from the sounds of things, they haven't)
>
>  > It doesn't and there are no /dev/fd? devices.  There are some entries in
>  > a directory called /dev/fd, which don't appear to be floppy related:
>
> They're your per-process file-descriptors.
> You should have a /dev/fd0
> does lsmod | grep floppy show anything?
>
>   Dave

Well as I've just posted, inserting a floppy in FC5 returns nothing, although
removable devices are supposed to be autodetected with FC5. CDROM stuff is
detected, although with a lot of bulls,,t boxes,asking what you want to do
with the media.

I've just moved the same floppy to the other machine running FC2, opened
Kdiskfree, mounted the floppy, and then opened it in a file manager. Works
like clockwork.

Nigel.