No floppy device in FC5

David Boles dgboles at comcast.net
Mon Jun 12 18:29:13 UTC 2006

nigel henry wrote:
> On Monday 12 June 2006 19:10, Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:59:39AM -0700, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
>>  > When you say, "It should just work", does than mean a file manager
>>  > should pop up when a floppy is inserted and a mount point created?
>>
>> AFAIK, you have to mount it by hand, though as I said it's been
>> a while since I've had to resort to using a floppy, so things
>> may have changed (though from the sounds of things, they haven't)
>>
>>  > It doesn't and there are no /dev/fd? devices.  There are some entries in
>>  > a directory called /dev/fd, which don't appear to be floppy related:
>>
>> They're your per-process file-descriptors.
>> You should have a /dev/fd0
>> does lsmod | grep floppy show anything?
>>
>>   Dave
>
> Well as I've just posted, inserting a floppy in FC5 returns nothing, although
> removable devices are supposed to be autodetected with FC5. CDROM stuff is
> detected, although with a lot of bulls,,t boxes,asking what you want to do
> with the media.
>
> I've just moved the same floppy to the other machine running FC2, opened
> Kdiskfree, mounted the floppy, and then opened it in a file manager. Works
> like clockwork.

If by 'it does not work' you mean that no icon appears on the desktop for the
floppy?

Look in the 'Computer' folder on your desktop, or select the 'Places' drop
down menu and then select 'Computer' and click on the Floppy icon. It will
mount the floppy and a icon will appear on your desktop. You will have to
unmount it by selecting that in the icon menu. The icon will disappear.

--

  David