No floppy device in FC5

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Jun 12 22:21:27 UTC 2006

DJ> It's done directly by the HAL daemon. It keeps its own internal
DJ> record of what's mounted.

Command line users do have a a way to access things still: the
terribly named named gnome-mount.  Of course there's no manpage but
--help does work and I did eventually figure out:

> gnome-mount -v -t --device /dev/fd0
gnome-mount 0.4
** (gnome-mount:9416): DEBUG: Will attempts methods on drive object
** (gnome-mount:9416): DEBUG: Mounting
   /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_floppy_0_storage with
   mount_point='', fstype='', num_options=1
** (gnome-mount:9416): DEBUG:   option='uid=500'
Mounted /dev/fd0 at "/media/floppy"

There's also gnome-umount to get rid of them.

Under KDE, media:/ shows the floppy and I can mount it, but the icon
doesn't change and I can't unmount it except by using gnome-umount (or
umount as root).

 - J<