Disable ipv6 module

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jun 12 22:46:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 00:28 +0200, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> [...]
> > 	BTW...  I just noticed that it seems in the last few weeks (or,
> > maybe the last couple of months) the default got changed for the
> > network preference.  Before, if IPv6 was available and a site had
> > both an IPv6 address and an IPv4 address, IPv6 would be used
> > preferentially over IPv4.  This was good.  I often see BETTER latency
> > between the US and Europe on IPv6 than on IPv4 (thanks to some v6
> > backbones out there plus cleaner routing).  Lately though, I see that
> > the preference has been switched and it will choose the IPv4 address
> > over the IPv6 address if a site has both.  :-(  So, when I browse to
> > www.kame.net it says I'm connecting over IPv4 now, instead of IPv6,
> > and all I see is the static Kame turtle.  If I connect to
> > www.sixxs.net, or IPv6style.jp, or DeepSpac6, they all report an IPv4
> > connection.

> No problems here with IPv6, I can see the dancing turtle, www.sixxs.net
> reports my IPv6 address and so on. Maybe there is a routing problem on
> your or your ISP's side?

	Nope.  I can get to IPv6-only sites just fine.  And my E-Mail and DNS
over IPv6 is fine.  So, I'm able to get to IPv6 sites and they're able
to get to me.  It's just sites with both an "A" and a quad A "AAAA"
record for the same name.  Seems like a fairly recent update.  Are you
fully up to date with the latest yum updates?

	I'm going to check further with my upstream (OCCAID) and make sure
there's no other peculiarities but this doesn't behave like other
problems I've seen.

	Oh...  And one other thing...  Even internally, where my servers have
both an IPv6 and IPv4 address, it use to be that doing an ssh to them
would result in a connection to the IPv6 address.  Now it connects to
the IPv4 address.  But, if I use the IPv6-only name, it does connect to
IPv6 just fine.  So there's no routing problems or firewall problems in
that case.

> Regards,
> Andreas.

	Mike