udev timeout on boot

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00001 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 03:05:20 UTC 2006

Bob Hartung wrote:

 > Hi all, I have a new FC5 install with all updates applied.  Kernel
 > 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5-smp-i686.  On boot, udev times out every time. I
 > have checked boot.log, dmesg, and messages for some mention of udev
 > to see what is happening to no avail.
 >
 > Where would this information be written if not to one of the above
 > files?

Set udev_log="debug" in /etc/udev/udev.conf then reboot. This should
then pass much more verbose information to syslog.

I also found the following post in the linux-hotplug-devel mailing
list on SourceForge:

"Recall that I replaced /sbin/udev{start} by

strace -o /var/log/udev.log.`uname -n`.${$} \
  -f /sbin/utest/`basename $0` $ <at>

and moved the original udev and udevstart to /sbin/utest/ "

Also, read this:
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

-
K.