duplicating an installation

Ambrogio fn050202 at flashnet.it
Tue Jun 13 15:56:04 UTC 2006

Il giorno mar, 13/06/2006 alle 10.31 -0400, Jeffrey Ross ha scritto:
> Bringing the machine down to single user mode and doing a dump/restore to
> a new disk is easy enough, however how to I re-install the boot loader?
Boot loader is on the disk, so if you have to replace a disk, you can
simply copy it and replace the old.

After the restart boot loader will loaded and all reference to
partitions are preserved.
If you make a copy at partition level this is not true everytime.

It depends on where you installed bootloader.

If you don't have to change the partitions layout, you can copy the
entire disk with dd or other block level copy software and you will be
working well.

Bye
 Ambrogio