sendmail

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Tue Jun 13 18:26:26 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 10:57, Jacob wrote:
> >> Actually I don't think it's a php problem, It seems to make it to
> >> sendmail. But sendmail is having a problem connecting to other SMTP
> >> servers. I keep getting returned e-mails.
> >
> > Do they include an error message with the reason for the return?
> > If not, are there any in /var/log/maillog?   Does your ISP block
> > direct outbound email?  You may have to forward through the ISP
> > mailer - and many places will reject if you don't anyway.
>
> Okay, how do I forward through my ISP?
> This is the error: Deferred: Connection timed out with gsmtp163.google.com.

Sorry, misunderstood the issue.

Some ISP's (I use Cox and I know this to be true with them) block all
connections on port 25 to any server that is not their own. They also often
restrict the "from" address to be a coming from their domain. Other ISP's
will also often block you from you from using their servers from another
ISP's network. Google may be doing this to you. Especially if you are using a
non-gmail domain in the "from" field of the email

To get past this you may need to spend a tiny bit of cash (mine is $15 a year
at dnsexit.com) for a relay service. I see no-ip.com has something it calls
"Alternate-port SMTP" for $20 a year which appears to be the same thing.

Before I spent the cach, though, I would see if the smtp servers owned by my
ISP would serve my needs.