FC4 or FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:38:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:19 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:

> > You apparently haven't actually read the GPL.  Please note the
> > parts that say you can't restrict further redistribution and
> > that you can't redistribute at all unless the work as a whole
> > meets the terms of the GPL.
> That depends on many things as well. Redistribution as a whole if the parts
> are distinct is permitted (the "mere aggregation" clause).

It depends only on copyright law and what might be considered
a derived work.  The usual interpretation is that anything that
ends up linked into the same program is covered although optional
dynamically loaded modules make an odd case.

> > And in fact it doesn't say
> > anything specific about the cost of the source, so I'm not
> > sure what you did read...
> It says that "equivalent access" must be of the source code to whomever
> receives the binaries in question. This means that the maximum price for the
> copy of source code, if it was not given with the binaries, may at most be that
> price of the copy of the binaries. Please see the FSF's "Selling Software" page
> for more information:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html#HighOrLowFeesAndGPL

It doesn't matter what anything but the license itself says.
Equivalent access is acceptable, but not the only way to meet
the requirement.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com