xorg.conf help

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jun 13 23:30:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:56 -0700, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> I made those changes as you said and it seems that now the display
> wants to go to 1920x1440 … which is waaay too big???
>
> :b!
>
> Brian D. McGrew { brian at visionpro.com || brian at doubledimension.com }
> --
> > This is a test.  This is only a test!
>   Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been
>   told to cancel this test and seek professional assistance!

Try taking out this modeline, which may not be correct for your monitor.

>         Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> And then:
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>                 Modes    "1280x800"
This should make it select an appropriate modeline that matches the
layout.

>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> On 6/13/06, Brian D. McGrew <brian at visionpro.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I'm installing in VMWare on a Sony Vaio notebook and so far, all is
> working very well, better than I expected.
>
> My only snag is that I need to get X to run at 1280x800 instead of
> 1280x960.  I set the monitor as a Generic LCD at 1280x800 but still
> that
check the output in /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and see what it is actually
selecting.
Do you know the refresh rate of the screen?  you might need to set that
explicitly. I had to that on my desktop system since the syncmaster LCD
panel screen could only do 1600X1200 at a vert refresh of 60hz.  The
EDID values would not give it the 60Hz refresh so it had to be
overridden with my settings.