Red Hat just ripped me off for $179.00

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jun 14 03:43:50 UTC 2006

Timothy Payne wrote:
> I had FC 5 working fine on a new Dell.  I use it at work, so I thought I
> should upgrade it to the paid WS version.  It couldn't ID anything but
> the hard drive.  I called Red Hat, they said TOO BAD YOU LOSE!

I feel sorry you didn't do your homework.  I looked extensively on the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux site as well as the Fedora Site and found no
implication that there is any relationship between RHEL and Fedora.  If
anything, the exact opposite is true.

You could have consulted:

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/migrate/whichlinux/

If you did more research you'd find links to helping you update from old
versions of Red Hat software when there was no "Enterprise".

But, in any event, one wonders why you didn't just didn't go the
evaluation route.

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/eval/

Sure, Red Hat should refund you for your mistake.  I don't know how you
approached them with your refund request...but if you were belligerent
from the onset and accused them of ripping you off...well....

In any event, you probably don't want to go the CentOS or Whitebox route
since they are other incantations of RHEL.

FWIW, I don't think anyone is calling you an idiot.  I think they are
just surprised that you made the mistake and equated Fedora with RHEL.

Good luck with your other distributions.  You may find the differences
in the Debian way.  So, don't make assumptions that it will work and be
maintained just like Fedora/RHEL.  Otherwise you may find yourself being
confronted on their mailing lists.

--
Let me take you a button-hole lower.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"