another jerk in my mail box

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Wed Jun 14 04:51:57 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, Timothy Payne <tim at tmpco.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Thank you for almost all of the replies that told me what an idiot I
am.

> I did make a couple of errors.
>
> 1)  I assumed that something I pay for is better than the free
version.
> (The installer is copyright 2001)  Yes you can make something stable
if
> it only installs on 2 motherboards and 3 video cards (smart ass
remark)

Only if you believe Microsoft's FUD campain is any of this remotely
true or accurate.

> 2)  I assumed that the plain Dell office computer that FC 5 worked so
> well on would not be a problem.  I tried to get pre-order information
> but was ignored by Red Hat.  Dell does not list components on their
> invoice only part numbers.  They are the largest computer maker in the
> world, you would think Red Hat would be connected at the hip with
them.

Its fairly common knowledge that Dell has virtually no linux strategy
and is basically just chasing the almighty dollar.  The overwhelming
majority of Dell's sales are still for hardware that is going to be
used with a Microsoft OS.  At best (and in Dell's own admission) only
about 25% of Dell's _server_ sales are used for Linux.  Their
workstations are a far smaller percentage than that.

> Debian is now downloading away at my office.  Red Hat is the only
Linux
> I've used for a desktop starting with V 5.1, if Debian doesn't work
out
> I'll see if Novell will return any calls or email, it's a 31 flavors
> kind of thing now to see what I like.
>
> Of all the email I received, only one offer of help came, I'll be
> removing my name from the list now.

With that approach, its little surprise that you are ill-informed
about the state of current Linux distributions and supported hardware.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org