A few questions about Fedora

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 06:29:40 UTC 2006

--- Endre Szabo <sze_mail at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm an absolute Linux novice with no experience with
> this OS. Now I'm looking for a suitable
> distribution.
>
> I've got a P3 800Mhz 256MB RAM 10GB HDD machine.
> I intend to make  database gui apps with MySql,
> Python
> and the wxPython toolkit with Boa RAD tool and also
> web developement.
> So many of above will run simultaneously.
>
> I've got a few questions:
>
> 1. Is Fedora suitable for me? Used with KDE and all
> above will it have the necessary speed and stability
> on my machine?

Sure why not.  Some things will run slow but you can
test it out and see for yourself.

> 2. Where can I find a list of apps wich come with
> FC5?

Try Distrowatch.com,
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora

If you want to see more packages 177 click on refresh
and it will give them to you.

> 3. Can I install new softs or update existing ones
> without internet connection -- ie. from cd?

Yes, but it will be much more difficult.  You have to
setup a local repo.  Look at the archives for more
information on how to do this.

> 4. Can I install from tarballs (tar.gz) or only from
> rpm?

Yes you can install both ways.  Note that rpm/yum is
the recommended way to install software.  If however
you do need to compile tarballs make sure that you
install most/all development tools when installing
Fedora.

> 5. Will softs not intented especially for fedora but
> for "generally Linux" work?

Fedora is a freely distributed version of linux, so
any/most software that runs in linux should run in
Fedora.

Regards,

Antonio