(fedora) vsftp and dodgy permissions

Jacob =Jouk Jansen joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl
Wed Jun 14 06:49:59 UTC 2006

syrus at doomedyouth.org wrote at 13-JUN-2006 20:24:05.59

>I'm setting up a new server at the moment and I'm trying to get FTP working so I
> don't have to SSH as much (I use webdrive in Windows) but I've come across a st
>range problem.
>
>Now, before anyone starts a-rantin' I know I shouldn't be using root for this st
>uff anyway, but I'm just doing it while I get set up.
>
>Anyway, the problem is;
>
>When I ssh I can see all files and folders with root.
>When I ftp I can't see certain folders. /var/ and /etc/httpd/ specifically.
>'ve ssh'd into both my servers to check permissions and they're both the same f
>or those directories and yet one works while the other doesn't. Anyone know of a
>n explanation?
>
>The old server, which works perfectly, is running Fedora Core 2 pretty much out
>of the box.
>The new server, which doesn't work properly, is running Fedora Core 5 out of the
> box.
>
>The conf files are exactly the same between the servers. It's vsftpd that I'm ru
>nning on both, so essentially it should be the same.
>
>Any ideas why the ssh and ftp would behave differently accessing files with the
>same username and password?

On my FC5 machines I noticed that I can only access files on the
root-partition ( / ). Files located on any other partition seem to be
unaccessible.

                        Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd