another jerk in my mail box

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 17:00:27 UTC 2006

On 6/14/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 08:53 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > On the servers, sure.  But on workstations Linux tends to be a foreign
> > language.  The fact that all that they will even pre-install is RHEL4
> > (without any updates) speaks volumes about how far behind the curve
> > they are.
> ----
> that is of course your opinion. That is all that they support (that I
> know of) on Dimension/Optiplex/Precision desktop systems but other Linux
> versions will indeed work. I give them credit for selling and supporting
> something.

So if they were shipping RH-7 that would be fine too?  They're doing a
disservice to their customers (and RH too) by shipping an outdated
distro on their boxes.  There are loads of admins out there who have
no clue about RHEL update releases, happily run what they've got, or
worse, get angry at Redhat because they're hitting bugs that were
fixed in UpdateX months or years earlier.

> Don't forget...it's a numbers game. As more and more customers want
> computers with various installations of Linux, Dell will respond.

Sure, and that was my original point.  Dell is just following the
money, they're not really making any effort to provide a solid,
dependable Linux solution to their customers.,  And that's not
leadership, and its certainly not looking out for the best interest of
your customers.  HP on the other hand always ships the latest updates
of RHEL because they're aware of the issues behind older versions.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org