FC4 or FC5

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Wed Jun 14 20:04:11 UTC 2006

Sean <seanlkml at sympatico.ca> wrote: On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
BRUCE STANLEY
 wrote:

> And this may be the very reason why we can not get the drivers for our hardware
> distributed with Suse anymore.
>
> If there is no legal way around this,  Suse Desktop will be a thing of the past
> for the general desktop user (e.g. home user who is not technical).
>
> Suse and other Linux vendors will not have a snow balls chance in you
> know where in competing against  MS Windows with out drivers.
>
> This would include USB devices as well.

That's just FUD.  We're already starting to see open source drivers for 3d video
trickle in; yeah it's slow.  But that's a hell of a lot better than giving
up all the freedoms open source offers just to get some short term extra
hardware support.  There is already a perfectly acceptable closed source
operating system available, there's no reason to make another.

Sean

FUD is it?   My T41 had a wifi and AC7 modem driver available to it in
Suse 10.0 and 9.3.   Gone in 10.1.

The 'FUD' you speak of has kept me from putting Suse 10.1 on my Laptop.