[ANN] stablemirror - a yum plugin for stable, up-to-date mirrors

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 04:08:00 UTC 2006

> I've got a reasonable amount of bandwidth here.  I just don't see why
> the people running the mirrors enjoy sending many times the number
> of copies that would be needed if existing cache mechanisms were
> not thwarted by randomizing the URLs the way yum does it.  I'm
> sorry you consider pointing out this waste of resources as bitching.
> Round-robin DNS would work if the repositories were in the same relative
> location. Any scheme that would more frequently choose the same mirror
> from the same location would work better than filling caches with
> randomly chosen URLs that won't be reused.

I agree. Mike is not bitching, just making suggestions that seem valid
from his personal experience and there is room for improvement in Yum. I
do not have this level of competence myself, but an appeal to those that
do might light up a few synapses, think about Mike's idea and decide
it's merits. No harm in that at all, so I would not classify his post as
bitching. I wouldn't classify another's post as bitching if I wasn't
prepared to go to his house, knock on his door and say it to his face,
up close and personal. But, I'm old school. Ric