Dead disk

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 05:35:50 UTC 2006

On 15/06/06, jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 June 2006 9:25 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > After some uptime, my system hangs- it is not responsive to keyboard
> > nor mouse. The red disk light is not on, and there is not response to
> > CTRL-ALT-DEL or any other keypresses. This is on a one-hour old
> > system. The last system, Kubuntu did the same thing. This started
> > abouth two weeks ago, but has been becoming more frequent. The machine
> > is a P4 256MG RD-RAM machine. Does this seem to be a hardware fault?
> > How can I check it? Thanks.
> >
> > Note that I have a copy of Hiren Boot Disk, with many tools. I have
> > tried to use them to find problems with the hardware, but have found
> > nothing. Note, however, that I don't really know what I'm doing.
> >
> > Thanks.

> 1) Check that you don't have any ACPI settings on in BIOS.
> 2) Check the default ACPI settings of the operating system.

No, no ACPI in Fedora, and disabled in BIOS.

@jlugwig: The power supply is about 3 months old- it's a 500w unit
that replaced the previous 300w unit. I'll check it though. Any
suggestions on how to check it? I have a multimeter, but I know only
how to check voltage. Also, isn't there a hardware monitor that can
tell me the voltage? I went looking for it in the menus, but could not
find it.

I just reinstalled to a new hard disk, so lets see how that goes. So
far, so good.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com
4321