Cannot dynamically link to librt.so.1 when LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

Kazimieras kazimieras.vaina at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 12:19:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 12:26 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Kazimieras wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > kernel-2.6.16-1.2096_FC5
> > glibc-2.4-8
> >
> > bash-3.1$ LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 /bin/ls
> > /bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
> >

> > Is this a bug ?
>
> Why are using LD_ASSUME_KERNEL?
>
> There is no LinuxThreads support in FC5.
>
> Paul.

I personally do not use this, but some java software (like Zend) packed
with InstallAnywhere does.
The InstallAnywhere provides installation and launcher scripts. The
script uses LD_ASSUME_KERNEL for some cases, thus it fails to launch
programs e.g java.

It seems that it's an installer issue, or is there a way to "turn on"
LinuxThreads support in FC5 ?