Maxtor or WD?

LinuxMedia linuxmedia2 at netscape.net
Thu Jun 15 08:51:28 UTC 2006

 > I bought a Maxtor 160GB 8MB cache IDE hard drive
 > that Fedora Core 5 would not install to. I've
 > replaced it with an identical Western Digita
 > unit, and it's installing now. What would cause
 > this, and how can I be sure that I won't get
 > myself into another similar mess in the future?
 > Should I file a bug?

I don't know if it's related, but I've replaced several Maxtor Drives
and decided to go with other brands eventually. This could be due to the
fact that the PC was open all the time and the drives weren't in their
bay. Maybe they weren't being cooled properly. I see someone mentioned
they run hot. But I never had a problem with any other brands. And did I
read that Maxtor doesn't support all the features of proper error
checking? I don't know much about that area, seems I read that though.

Rocco