FC4 or FC5

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 15 13:50:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:10:26 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes and we all use them.  Your linux distribution contains
> much bsd/mit/apache/perl licensed code - licenses that do
> not restrict competition and additional improvements and
> have resulted in many useful products.

The point is that you're not force to use Linux or other GPL
software.  Since you must know that the GPL isn't going to change,
why not use a BSD flavor or other OS that doesn't use any GPL
software at all?

> Yes, preventing many similar useful products.

Creating much useful software that is available to people who
might otherwise not have access to it.

> They claim that distributing a program that uses a gpl'd library
> is a copyright violation even if it does not include the library
> in the distribution.  There is no other way to describe that
> besides stopping the distribution of another person's original
> work.

No, that is a legal determination.  It would seem that legally the
"original work" of which you speak is actually a derived work.  But
I don't know the specifics.

> Like you said earlier - laws can change,   And there are places
> besides Europe.

What's your point?  That there _might_ be a law that might cause
a legal problem for someone using Linux?  Sorry, but that's true
for just about anyone using anything.

> Having to pay doesn't automatically prevent someone from using
> something.  It just is another factor in your choices. The GPL
> restrictions simply take away your choices.

Well, IBM might not even be willing to license that technology
to anyone, or maybe would do so at a prohibitive cost that effectively
makes it unavailable to anyone else, removing it as a practical choice.

BTW, the GPL doesn't take choice away from anyone.  Nobody is forced
to base their work on a GPL library or other GPL software.  And obviously
it can't be all that bad... you use GPL software!  That's an endorsement
the belies your words.

Sean