timer broken (was Re: fc5 hangs)

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 22:05:53 UTC 2006

[snip]

>David,
>How do you update the BIOS in Linux environment?
Well, I must admit, I turned to the dark side for the
BIOS update.  I downloaded an exe named 2ajt51a.exe
from IBM's web site and formatted a floppy disk from a
Windows computer and then ran the exe file from that
computer to make the disk a bootable BIOS upgrade
disk.  I didn't trust wine since I'm #$%ing with my BIOS.
Then I transfered that disk to my Linux-only ThinkCentre
computer and did the upgrade.  Make sure you
download the BIOS compatible with your particular
ThinkCenter computers.

>I have two IBM thinkcenter and both are messing the clock up. no ntpd
>running and I have stopped all but essential services. Still, my system
>clock falls behind as much as 11 hours in 24 hour period and makes the
>system unusable. when it gets to this point, doing multiple "date" command
>shows that the clock is moving backward and forward.
Try looking at /proc/interrupts to see if it's incrementing
slower than 250 Hz.  That was the telltale signature of my problem.  I
never noticed the date go backwards... only forwards too slowly.

Good luck...

          David