High resolution screen-shots

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 23:36:14 UTC 2006

On 6/15/06, Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to get high resolution screen-shots. Is there some tool
> > for that? (Ksnapshot is not enough.)
>
> Personally, I just forgo all of the GUI things and run `import -window
> root screenshot.png` from a terminal window. (The 'import' utility is
> part of the ImageMagick package.)
>
> As mentioned, the resolution of the screenshot is that of your running X
> desktop, so if you're running at a lower resolution, your screenshot
> will be at that lower resolution. You could also try the 'convert'
> utility from the same package to resize it afterward if needed.

Thanks for all replies. Maybe, I should have elaborated a bit more. In
truth, what I am trying to do is to convert screen-shots to a
vectorial format by using potrace

(http://potrace.sourceforge.net/)

Unfortunately, potrace only exhibits good results when the resolution
of the bitmap image has a high resolution. I suspect that some kind of
scaling and filtering is necessary. From the research that I have
meanwhile done through Google, a similar problem is posed when trying
to print for magazines screen-shots of games. Any ideas are most
welcome!

Paul