[FC5] Converting AVI to DVD HOWTO?

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 23:51:54 UTC 2006

On 6/15/06, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
> > I have a few .avi files from TV shows that I have downloaded. I would
> > like to convert these .avi files and burn them to DVD such that I could
> > view these programs on my TV (DVD).
> >
> > I've done a little bit of searching on Google and have come up with some
> > seemingly dated instructions on how to accomplish this.
> >
> > What I have found thus far involves a GUI. If possible, I would like to
> > avoid a GUI and just do it from the command line. This might not be
> > possible, I haven't a clue.
> >
> > I would appreciate any pointers to howto's. I am completely clueless in
> > what might be involved in this process.
>
> I had the same issues a while back and here's a great link I found, it's
> from the Gentoo Wiki, but it's a really good doc on the guts of DVD
> authoring.
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709
>
> I've also used DVDAuthor to build a fairly simply Menu for the DVDs and
> to transcode them to ISOs as well.

In addition to the previous suggestions, let me introduce you to Videotrans:

http://videotrans.sourceforge.net/

Videotrans is similar to Tovid (with no GUI, though), but, up to my
best knowledge, Videotrans performs better regarding sound, as the
sound of VOB files produced by Tovid have a volume significantly lower
than the original AVI file.

Paul