Windows XP Pro/Fedora Core 5 Dual Boot

Jeremy Thompson jeremy.a.thompson+FC at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 16 18:39:45 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, oldman <talbotscott at cox.net> wrote:

> Brian Craft wrote:
> > Chris Maiden wrote:
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> I am feeling quite happy! I have got Fedora Core 5 up and running on my
> >> Workstation and apart from a few hiccups all is well.
> >>
> >> Now I am getting adventurous!
> >>
> >> I am thinking of setting up my HP NX8220 laptop with dual booting for
> >> Windows XP Pro and Fedora Core 5.
> >>
> >> I have looked on the internet at a few tutorials and I noticed that
> >> Linux will not read NTFS partitions so I wanted to check my thinking.
> >>
> >> So should I create 3 partitions, one for Windows NTFS, a partition for
> >> Fedora and then a 1 Gb partition as FAT32 so that I can "transfer
> files"
> >> between the two? I know I'll be limited to a Gb this way but is this
> the
> >> best way to go about it?
> >>
> >> Also wondered if anyone had come across any major problems installing
> >> Fedora Core 5 on the HP NX8220.
> >>
> >> Any tips and information really appreciated!!!
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>

> > http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/187
> >
> > Check out this website............it's a patch for the particular kernal
> > your running.....just download the .rpm file and install it. (I can't
> > remember, but you may have to have the kernal source files installed
> too.)
> >
>         Even easier - go to rpm.livna.org and follow the instructions to
> add
> their repo to your yum config, then yum install kmod-ntfs.  Nor
> rebuilding of your kernel is needed.  Bear in mind this still only gives
> you read-only access.

I currently do this on my main box.  I created a seperate partition of
115+/- gig for visibility in both OSs in FAT32.  I added livna to my repos
and it didn't find the NTFS driver for me.  Could be other issues though.

Good times!

JT

        I find a better solution is to have a separate fat-32 partition for