Maxtor or WD?

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jun 16 22:04:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 02:55:34PM -0400, Claude Jones wrote:

> > > Three years on the both of them!
> >
> > Then I'd go with whichever one costs less. Or whichever one is
> > the prettiest!
>
> Personal experience. I do among other things, hardware management
> for one company and one non-profit org. Maybe 75-100 pc's under
> my care. I have a stack of dead Maxtors in my service shop.
> About twenty have failed in the past 18 months. Do the
> research - there's plenty out there about this; somebody saying
> all is well because he's got one that's run 6 months, and
> another that's run a year reminds me of the story of the guy who
> jumped off the tall building - half way down, someone leans out
> the window and asked how he was doing - "so far, so good..."
> he replied...
>
> Maxtors are junk in my view. Of the ones that have failed, 1/3
> were the USB externals variety. the ones housed in the plastic
> cases that can't breathe - I've taken some apart and found
> browned ribbon cable from the heat; many were fairly recent
> vintage in the 160-300 GB range, and the balance were a little
> older 20-35GB varieties.
>
> And don't bother to get their technical support to acknowledge
> this issue - they can't for obvious reasons...
> I can only hope that since their acquisition by Seagate, things
> will improve.
>
> To the poster who related his positive 6mo/1yr experience, I
> would just say, make sure you've got anything you care about
> backed up...
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, Md, USA

Claude:

I cannot, obviously, refute your experience. What happened has happened.

All I can say is that I've used a stack of maxtors at home and at work
over the last 5-6 years. The only ones I've had trouble with are the little
1/4-height 20 gig drives, which tend to run 2 to 2 1/2 years then go
belly up. i've had nearly everyone of them replaced under warranty
(before Maxtor dropped from 3 years to 1) and the replacements, with
one exception, are still going. I've got several other maxtors around
the house, some of them in use, some on the "spares" shelf, and so far,
so good.

Haven't used a LOT of WD drives, though the box I'm using at the moment
has a 40-gig WD as it's main boot drive (it's a replacement under
warranty from a flaky--not dead, just weird--40 gig unit bought new
a few years ago.
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.