Microsoft FrontPage

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 17 06:24:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:04 -0400, chalonec wrote:
> OK, I am running fc5 and creating web pages with FP 2003.

Ugh, I don't think FrontPage has really gotten away from making hideous
webpages since it was born.  It does seem an odd thing to be using with
Fedora, there are a variety of different website editors available.

NB:  I don't use them, I use plain editors.  I've yet to find any HTML
editor that does a better job than I can do by hand.

> I need to generate a form that captures name and email address to send
> web page update notifications.  Of course FrontPage extensions are
> needed.

Um, no, they're not.  And in what way do you mean "capture"?

If, as David thinks, you're just providing a form to mail service, for
someone to leave you a message with their contact details, then there's
any number of mailform scripts that will do the job.  The one he
mentions sounds good, though I've never used it, and don't know if it
has any security issues.  I use the NMS FormMail replacement for Matt
Wright's terrible FormMail script.

All that's "required" is some script to handle the data received by a
form, in the manner that you require.  Which could be mailing the
results to you, as the above mentioned scripts do.  Or something more
elaborate could enter details into a database, and something else could
do something with the database, automatically.  I couldn't offer more
advice on the latter, but someone else could.  You might get mored
advice if you provide more details about what you really need to do.

> Can someone suggest a native way to generate the forms for Apache.
> Does Fedora have a forms generator?

Do you just mean something to generate the webpage with the form, or the
script that deals with the form results?  Any HTML authoring program
worth its salt can produce the HTML.  That side of things has nothing to
do with Apache.

I read messages from the public lists.