What kills Gnome??

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 17 12:46:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:24:48 -0400, David C. Chipman wrote:

> Hi Beartooth,
>
> 	First of all, let me apologize. I didn't go into *enough* detail. What
> 	the strace command does is run another program (the program I referred
> 	to as being run "through" strace) and waits for that program to use
> 	what are called "system calls" (it doesn't take long!).

>       System-calls
> 	are any subroutines provided by the operating system kernel. Activities
> 	that use system calls would be things like accessing files, in this
> 	case the file (called a UNIX socket) that esd creates to allow other
> 	program to access its services (namely, allowing programs to share your
> 	sound card [otherwise, only one program at a time can access the sound
> 	card, not great in a GUI with possibly multiple programs want to use
> 	the sound card at the same time]).

>       You run programs through strace by
> 	including their name after the strace command on the command line, as I
> 	showed you earlier ("strace sol").

Aha!

>       You will see a lot of (seemingly)
> 	gobbledygoook stream by in the terminal window. *those* are the system
> 	calls I was referring to in the last paragraph.

I did indeed -- and it finally stopped without exiting; I tried a couple
ways to get out, which just gave more gibberish, and finally succeeded
just by closing the game.

>       About setting up
> 	ulimit: What I would like to know is if any programs crash. We do this
> 	by telling the system to create a "core" file when that happens.

> 	Unfortunately, for the past several versions RedHat linuxes have been
> 	configured not to create core files. We change that behaviour by by
> 	adding the "ulimit -c unlimited" command at the end of the /etc/profile
> 	file. After the line unset pathmunge, should do nicely. OK? I hope this
> 	helps clear things up,

OK, thanks! I added that line there, went back to userid, and ran strace
sol again. Didn't see any difference. Does that answer whatever we were
looking for? Or shall I do something else?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
FC5; CXO 5.0.1; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;