High resolution screen-shots

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 13:47:29 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/06, Jacques B. <jjrboucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have you tried the Gimp?  It has the ability to acquire a screen shot
> and
> > then you save it in the format you wish (within the limitation of the
> > software of course)?
>
> I have just tried that, but getting a TIF image with resolution 72 x 72
> dpi.
>
> Paul
>
> Are you saving it with compression?  I just tried it on my PC with my
screen resolution set at 1024 x 768.  I acquired the screen with the Gimp,
saved it as a .tiff file with no compression.  I then opened that image and
the properties were 1024 x 768, with a resolution of 76 X 72 dpi.  Still
pretty lame, but a bit better.  I read before that for an image to look
reasonable on screen it only needs a resolution of about 75 dpi.  That would
explain why a screen capture would likely only result in approx. that
resolution.  I suspect that you'd need one huge monitor to display something
300 x 300 dpi within the screen (short of a pretty small picture I guess).
That is probably where Chris was going with his suggestion.  I just ramped
up my screen resolution to 1280 x 800 and the resulting screen capture was
119 x 112 dpi.  So ramp that up as high as your card & monitor will support
and give that a try.

Jacques B.