System date resetting when rebooting (FC4)

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00002 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sat Jun 17 06:38:17 UTC 2006

Kam Leo wrote:

>>> I notice that when I shutdown I see an error printed on the
>>> screen like "Syncing hardware clock to system time... timeout or
>>> something" and it prints that the operation failed. Also, at
>>> startup, I notice an error message, something about a timeout
>>> occuring for clock tick.

Check dmesg, but IMO this is either:

a) ... A dead clock battery, or
b) ... A missing kernel module/parameter required for that mobo's timer
functions. And/or a kernel bug.

For the former, obviously just replacing the battery will help :)

For the latter, try building a custom kernel RPM using the guide I wrote
on: http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/414 ,and check for anything specific
to your chipset.

You mentioned that you installed FC4 onto "several" servers, but you
didn't explicitly state whether or not your problem was affecting all of
them. Is it just one of the machines or all of them? If it's just one,
and the others are the same hardware, then I'd go with the "dead clock
battery" theory.

> Disabling UTC will probably fix your problem.

The OP has already stated that: "I did not choose the option 'My System
clock uses UTC' when installing".

-
K.