Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 16:31:40 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 17/06/06, Tom Weniger <trweniger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/17/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > My 1.5 gHz P4 256MB RAM machine keeps locking up- no response from the
>> > keyboard or mouse, and the screen does not change (even the spinning
>> > circles that show something is loading do not move). The red disk
>> > light is not on. It does not repsond to CTRL-ALT-DEL.
>> >
>> > It's locked up now, what can I check? I'm writing this on the wife's
>> > XP box. The only way to get it back is to hit the rest button on the
>> > front of the box. After that, should I boot into runlevel 3 and check
>> > the logs? Should I mail the logs to the list? I don't really know what
>> > to look for. The hard disk and power supply have been replaced, and it
>> > did this on Kubuntu and Fedora. It's becoming much more frequent now.
>> > Nothing is overly hot in the case.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Dotan Cohen
>> >

>> Greetings Dotan,
>>
>> I have had the same problem on an AMD box running FC4. When does the box
>> freeze? At startup? shutdown? Using an app? Is it a dual boot?
>> In my case, the problem occurred at shutdown and was solved by
>> upgrading to
>> FC5 and ensuring that the /etc/fstab knew about the WinXP partitions
>> on the
>> other disk. This box is frequently used and switched to the other OS.
>> HtH.
>>

> Thanks, Tom. I have found no common thread as to wha causes it to
> freeze. It happens when Firefox is the only application open, and it
> happens when Konqueror is the only application open. It happended when
> Kate and Kspread were open together. It happened when Konsole was open
> and I tried to open Firefox.
>
> Sometimes it ffreezes when I try to open another application, but
> sometimes it 'just happens': I'm not opening anything, not cutting and
> pasting, not even browsing in Konqi. It seems to be very random, and
> it happened in Kubuntu as well- that's why I suspect hardware. The
> system is not dual boot.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://essentialinux.com
> 22223

I've had a problem similar to this several times, and it's happened in
both Windows and Fedora; after much experience, I am inclined to say it
is a faulty SATA cable or connector, and happens usually when Windows
tries to access a page file. I'm going to replace the SATA cables and
see what happens. (I'm running fakeraid 0 by the way.)
-Dan