System date resetting when rebooting (FC4)

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 17:32:44 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Keith G. Robertson-Turner
<fedora-gmane.00002 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk> wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:

> Check dmesg, but IMO this is either:
>
> a) ... A dead clock battery, or
> b) ... A missing kernel module/parameter required for that mobo's timer
> functions. And/or a kernel bug.
>
> For the former, obviously just replacing the battery will help :)
>
> For the latter, try building a custom kernel RPM using the guide I wrote
> on: http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/414 ,and check for anything specific
> to your chipset.
>
> You mentioned that you installed FC4 onto "several" servers, but you
> didn't explicitly state whether or not your problem was affecting all of
> them. Is it just one of the machines or all of them? If it's just one,
> and the others are the same hardware, then I'd go with the "dead clock
> battery" theory.

The dead battery problem should be detected and logged during boot
when NTPD encounters a large time difference.  During shutdown the
clock chip is receiving power from the power supply and does not use
its battery/coin cell.

> > Disabling UTC will probably fix your problem.
>
> The OP has already stated that: "I did not choose the option 'My System
> clock uses UTC' when installing".

Yes, I read that part of the post.  However, I have learned that one
needs to verify.