Auto Start an XServer Application

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jun 17 23:22:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 16:00 -0400, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I have 2 questions about starting up an Xserver application and hope
> that some one will be able to answer me on them.
>
> 1. I have Xgl & Compiz installed and running on my Fedora 5 with nVidia
> GeForce 5200 Graphics card and was wondering how I can auto start the
> command.
>
> Usually, after I login through KDE session, I open a terminal and run
> "#compiz --replace ..." but it would be nice if I could auto start this
> for  all sessions after the xserver starts up. Any ideas on this one?

	There was a utility in KDE that was used to start X apps which you can
specify which desktop and all kinds of other stuff.  I wish I could
remember it, sorry.

> 2. Currently, I have to login to a gnome or kde session and then start
> the application like OpenOffice Writer or Presenter. We are building a
> small LiveCD demo and what I would like is for the Xserver to start up
> and then start Presenter in full-screen without having to go through the
> kde or gnome login procedure since in this case we would like to boot
> right into the OpenOffice Presenter presentation after which they can go
> into a demo or play another presentation.
>
> Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

	The above util will do the startup stuff.  I believe you can set the
box to boot directly into a user account rather than the GDM/KDM/XDM
login screen.  I wish I could be of more specific help.

--
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>