[i810 PROBLEM] How may I get back 1024x768 screen resolution

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 18 03:48:43 UTC 2006

Vikram Goyal wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 06:08:53PM +0000, S.W. Bobcat wrote:
>>
>> This *should* be easy to fix as I've done it a nimber of times. Right now
>> I'm in FC4 but have installed FC5 (too buggy for my taste) the the solution
>> is as follows:
>>
>> Go to: System Settings (or equivalent if changed in FC5) --> Display  Enter
>> your root passwaord.
>>
>> You should get a 3-tab folder with Settings, Hardware, and Dual head
>>
>> Under Settings you will find the Resolutions and Number of Colors *BUT*
>> before you set these perameters you need to go to the *HARDWARE* tab and
>> set 1) your Monitor type 2) your video card type, once you select these
>>  two thing go back to settings and then select the resoltion you want and
>> the number of colors.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Hello Bob,
>
> What you described does not solves the problem.
>
> I already have xorg configured for my hardware. The only problem is I
> think with the i810 driver since on the same hardware I have used
> 1024x768 screen before.  But now when I use that setting then the screen
> gets virtual i.e bigger then the actual monitor screen and that is the
> sctual problem.
>
> There have been bug reporting for i810 but not specific to mine, thet's
> why I pasted the whole of my xorg.conf in hope maybe someone has such
> kind of hardware and maybe faced and solved his problem.
>
> Anyways thanks for trying.
>
> Regards!

Why do you have lower resolutions setup for 16 depth than 24. I believe
the resolution needs reduced when greater color resolutions are used. I
do see the default depth is 24 and this is where your 1024x768 is set.

I have a dell with an Intel 865G that works fine at both 1280x1024 and
at 1024x768 using the depth of 24.

Excerpt from your xorg.conf file posting:
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection

For this section, I am confused as to why all of the commented
information followed by redundant  information as the excerpt describes
below:

Section "Monitor"

  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	#DisplaySize  280	210
  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	#HorizSync    30.0 - 54.0
	#VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "StudioWorks"
	DisplaySize  260	195
  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	HorizSync    30.0 - 54.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Have you changed any settings in BIOS or upgraded the BIOS version lately?
I have seen the problem that you describe on several different
videocards. The problem usually appeared after a 3D application was
launched. Then the video information would pan as you are experiencing.

You might try to rename your xorg.conf file and run
system-config-display --reconfig. Check all hardware settings and ranges
to assure they are correct. Save the config file, then restart X.

If your video settings are still not correct, system > Preferences >
screen Resolution might be set wrong (GNOME anyway) even though they are
set correctly using system > Administration > display.

Good luck, the video chipset is not busted for me, but I do not use a
monitor as you have.

Jim

--
Vendor no longer supports the product