Firefox/pango/cairo

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 18 13:26:39 UTC 2006

> What gfx card do you use? I'm using a Matrox G550. I get the strong
> impression that no-one cares about these anymore, despite being
> well-supported in the past and with free drivers (that's why I bought one
> about three years ago)... and that these performance problems are just
> there for good since there is no no-Cairo option for GTK... and they will
> get even worse when Gecko uses Cairo exclusively.

I have an nvidia geforce 5640. I use the binary nvidia driver, since its
better (MUCH better for 3D, opengl etc.) than the OSS nv driver. I'm pretty
impressed with this card+driver performance overall, so I don't think this is
the issue.

I believe I saw the same effect with the nv driver last time had to use it
(when the NVIDIA driver was unavailable after the lauch of FC5)

Chris