Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 16:29:06 UTC 2006

On 18/06/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Is the power supply okay?  You said you replaced it, but does the
> replacement work fine on anything else?

In the Hardware monitor of my BIOS, it seems fine. Even the old one I
replaced because I did something stupid and ruined one of the wires.

> Is the CPU heatsink and fan working properly?  The heatsink sitting flat
> and firmly, not clogged with dust, and the fan spinning adequately?
> Depending on your system it may not need to feel overly hot for it to be
> too hot.

Yes, the heatsink is siting firmly on the processor, and the fan is
spinning fine. I did clean it of dust to be safe, and it was cleaned
about 3 months ago when I installed Kubuntu. Every time I do something
major to the hardware or OS I clean out the dust and check the fans.

> Disconnect all plug and sockets, including PC cards, and re-insert.
> Also firmly push in any socketed ICs (like BIOS chips).  You may have a
> grotty connection somewhere.

I will do that if it crashes again. Pushing in the motherboards' chips
is a good idea that I would not have thought of. Thanks.

> Minimise what's in the box.  Remove a sound card, try without the mouse,
> etc.

Will do if it crashes after pulling everything out and reinstalling
them. Though I must say, that it's been up for over 22 hours now, and
before I changed the drive's places I couldn't get 2 hours out of it.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com