Red Hat CEO Szulik Looks Forward

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jun 18 19:21:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 13:43 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> Firefox called up the mplayer plugin, which worked just fine.  My
> >> problem with this is more religious than anything else.
> >>
> >>    Why, for heavens sake, should the president of RedHat, who does not
> >> ship an mp3 capability in any distribution for patent reasons, allow
> >> this to be offered on the net in that format, when there are good
> >> alternatives in the form of ogg, which I suspect FC5 comes preconfigured
> >> to play just fine.
> >>
> >> That it was allowed, speaks volumes for his 'commitment' to open source.
> > ----
> > could you be any more of a schmuck?
> >
> > He doesn't have any control over the formats that eweek uses to put
> > content on the Internet.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> Craig, you've not been exactly an angel in tossing out insults in the
> past, so I'll just consider the source and let the schmuck thing ride.
>
> And I'd wager that had he been aware of it, he may have been able to
> exert some influence over eweeks postings.  However, I doubt the subject
>   (ogg vs mp3) ever crossed his mind as there are more important fish to
> fry in terms of his daily grind.  Its just one of the niggling little
> details that someone in his position just assumes has been properly
> delegated.
>
> If you want that to be an apology, take it that way as its as close as
> you'll get from me on this particular subject.  It was a detail that
> *should* have been handled, and wasn't.  OTOH, if he wanted to make sure
> the winderz folks could play it, then he did indeed make his point and
> I'm just preaching to the choir.  In any event, other than calling
> attention to an apparent up-yours to open source, this discussion is
> fruitless.
----
I guess if you extend Gene logic...Bill Gates only gives interviews to
people that distribute content in WMV format and Steve Jobs only does
interviews in QuickTime format...

no matter how you try to retreat on your statement, Matthew Szulik is
charged with publicizing Red Hat's role in the computer industry and if
he were to try to limit the methodologies, he would also limit his
audience...without considering the notion that he has no control over
the technologies used by independent news organizations.

the schmuck part is evidenced by your statement,
"Firefox called up the mplayer plugin, which worked just fine.  My
problem with this is more religious than anything else."

Nobody twisted your arm to install this 'sacreligious' plugin...you
chose to do so willingly but apparently have no conviction behind your
choice.

Craig