FC4 or FC5

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 19 03:01:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:53:18 +0800
Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> I hate to say this....but this is now starting to sound like politics
> here in Taiwan.  The Blue party won't listen to anything the Green Party
> has to say and vice versa.  Parties will dismiss the views of
> independent sources when it doesn't fit their narrow view.  Op-Ed pieces
> are written off when the views expressed don't dovetail with their beliefs.

Ed,

I'm well aware of the legal system and also that there are people that
debate from both sides of the isle endlessly about all things legal.
The only conclusion that would interest me is one by a judge in a court
of law.  I've read so many different opinions of the GPL and its legal
status that i'm simply tired of it.  It's been going on for _years_

> While nothing in the _intent_ of the GPL bothers someone they should
> consider the conclusion of that article.

Well I said I might get around to reading it.  It's just that the opinions
of lawyers don't really interest me as much as other technical subjects.
On top of which, it's not really the main point i've been trying to make
which is that the GPL is functioning exactly as it is supposed to and there
is no reason to change.   I'm confident that it will survive a trip to
court but i'm well aware that many people are not so confident.  Time will
tell.

> But, there does seem to be "some" hope.
>
> Can Windows and Open Source Learn to Play Nice?
>     http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1975849,00.asp
>
> And connecting links seem to indicate that there is some individuals
> willing to compromise or at least find ways to work together.
>
> FWIW, I guess this is a good reason to be a consultant/freelance.  You
> can work both sides of the fence and serve two masters.

Yes.  There are very many ways to improve the situation and all the people
that think the world is ending because the GPL has a few rules to follow
are _way_ too pessimistic about its future.  The article you quote is just
one of many that give hope to the future of the GPL.

Sean