The desktop wars

Rob Brown-Bayliss uncertain.genius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 05:27:44 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> We need advertising!!! Most people I've spoken to have never heard of
> linux (or suse or fedora or debian etc.). If granny knew that linux
> could bring life back into her WinME system, she would know to buy
> redhat or suse or anything not windows and $400!

Well, shw would probably go to the local big chain store and buy an
overpriced name brand PC (dell, hp etc) that has windows installed,
and not even know she had paid for windows.

Mean while, the non grannies would "know" that changing to linux means
their prinder or scanner wont work, and that they can't use email etc
etc, and that know one ueses linux any way.

What we need is for the Dell's and Hp's to start actively promoting
their PC's with linux, and not to charge more for the privilage than
they do for their windows based PC's.

Don't hold your breath

--
Rob