LVM magic in initrd, or "making an initrd without modules"

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 19 09:45:35 UTC 2006

Steffen Kluge wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 10:18 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Try:
>> # mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.16-nomod
>>
>> and see if that works any better.
>
> Thanks Paul, that plus touching modules.dep in this directory made
> mkinitrd work. The box boots fine now, and the init script doesn't
> attempt to do anything with modules anymore.

That might be worth raising a bugzilla on mkinitrd for.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

If the --builtin option is used for a module, skip this test:

if [ ! -d /lib/modules/$kernel ]; then
     error 'No modules available for kernel "'${kernel}'".'
     exit 1
fi

Reasoning: we might be building an initrd for a monolithic kernel with
no modules.

You'll probably need to expand on this to address the modules.dep issue.

Paul.