Historical accuracy (was: Re: FC4 or FC5)

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Mon Jun 19 13:06:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, jdow wrote:

>> Joe "Why aren't spell checkers able to read minds?" Klemmer
>
> If desired I can fill you in on some of the history of the
> solution for this problem that was pioneered in the PutriDOS
> (tm) operating system some years back. The /DWIM option had
> some unintended or at least unfortunate side effects.

 	Back in the DOS/BBS days there were no built-in spell checkers.
I was a frequent poster on many Fidonet echos of varying topics, not all
of them tech related.  My spelling, or the lack thereof, became (in)famous
across the country and, indeed, worldwide.  People know me by my
misspellings (it was better than a digital signature).  One day, for my
birthday, some friends got together and bought me a dictionary/spell
checker TSR so that it would work with any program I ran.  Needless to
say, this was hailed and celebrated by thousands across the globe.

 	At times I miss being able to run the spell checker in any app.
Right now most things have some form of built-in spellers but they very
from app to app.  A consistent dictionary & interface would be handy.
But then again, I'm not complaining.